Abington, Massachusetts. First Congregational Church records, 1724-1750.

Collection Information
Title:

Abington, Mass. First Congregational Church records, 1724-1750.

Creator(s):

First Congregational Church (Abington, Mass.)

Dates:

1724-1750

Extent:

44 unique images: archival TIFF, derivative JPEG & PDF

Collection ID #:

RG4969

Conditions Governing Access:

Digital copies are open and available for researcher access on the web.

Technical Access:

To access digital user’s copies via online-interface, a java-enabled web browser is required. Internet Explorer 8.x and later, Firefox 5.x and later, Opera 12 and later, Safari 5.x and later, or any version of Google Chrome are recommended. Digital user’s copies may be accessed here: http://www.congregationallibrary.org/nehh/AbingtonMAFirst

Copyright: Preferred Citation:

[Identification of item], in the Abington, Mass. First Congregational Church records, RG4969. The Congregational Library & Archives, Boston, MA.

Language:

English

Processing information:

Collection re-described by Sari Mauro in September 2013 in accordance with DACS 2013. Portions of description written by Robin Duckworth.

Abstract:

First Church in Abington called its first pastor, Rev. Samuel Brown in 1711, having been previously lead by layman Elder William Pratt. In 1714 the Massachusetts General Court accepted the petition to incorporate the town of Abington, and Rev. Brown was ordained as church pastor. This single volume contains records of church membership, baptisms, censures and admonitions, and debates over doctrine.

Acquisition Information:

Digitized from records loaned to the Congregational Library & Archives by UCC Abington of Abington, Massachusetts, for the purpose of digitization in August of 2011.

Originals are held by UCC Abington Church of Abington, Massachusetts.

Historical Note

First Church in Abington called its first pastor, Rev. Samuel Brown in 1711, having been previously lead by layman Elder William Pratt. In 1714 the Massachusetts General Court accepted the petition to incorporate the town of Abington, and Rev. Brown was ordained as church pastor. Rev. Brown wasn't ordained until 1714 at which time the church records show eight male members (no female members are listed). Ten years later church membership had grown to 46. Eventually, the church membership grew large enough that it became feasible to establish three "daughter churches" in the Abington area.

The church's history reflects strong stances on political and social issues. In 1835, the church voted to declare slavery to be a sin and became active in the abolition movement. A year later the church became a strong supporter of the temperance movement. The church also supported the formation of the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions. The church's support of missions continued into the 20th century. In 1968 First Church merged with North Congregational Church, formerly Fourth Church, and became United Church of Christ, Abington.

 

Scope of Collection

Records consist primarily of deacon records and records of baptisms. Deacon records contain records of admissions to communion, deacon's acceptance and dismissals, and complaint hearings. Of particular note are records of ongoing discord relating to accusations of premarital sexual relations.

This collection is part of New England's Hidden Histories. Digital historical representations of the collection may be viewed online.

 

Further Searches

Subject Headings

Church records and registers - Massachusetts - Abington.

Congregational churches - Massachusetts - Abington.

Baptismal records.

Church membership.

Admonition.

Church discipline.

Church discipline - Massachusetts.

Doctrinal controversy.

First Congregational Church (Abington, Mass.).

 

Related Materials

Abington, MA : First Congregational Church and Parish. 17.11.1 AB55.37 FIRCC TX 1912

Abington, Massachusetts. United Church of Christ Image

Celebration of the one hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the incorporation of Abington, Massachusetts, June 10, 1862 ; including the oration, poem, and other exercises T AB5.4

Cyrus Nash papers, 1735-1834 MS0932

History of the town of Abington, Plymouth County, Massachusetts, from its first settlement T AB5.4 HO

An historical sketch of Abington, Plymouth County, Massachusetts : with an appendix T AB5.4 H

Official program of the commemorative exercises of the two hundredth anniversary of the incorporation of the town of Abington, Massachusetts, June 10, 1712, participated in by the towns of Abington, Rockland and Whitman, comprising the original town of Abington, to be held June 9 to 15 inclusive, 1912. T AB5.4 B

 

Arrangement

Original records are contained in a single volume. Digitized copies reflect the arrangement of that volume. Where the original volume contains large swaths of blank pages, only 2 have been digitized.

 

Contents

Church records 1724-1750 Online Interface

 

Become a Member