Congregational Christian Churches. Board of Home Missions. Filmstrip Collection, 1947-1950s
In 1931, the National Council of Congregational Churches and the General Convention of the Christian Church merged to form the General Council of Congregational Christian Churches, following an unsuccessful merger attempt in 1895. In 1936, various home mission organizations were consolidated to form the Board of Home Missions of the General Council. The board was organized into five divisions: Division of Church Extension and Evangelism; Division of Christian Education; Pilgrim Press Division; Division of Ministerial Relief; and the American Missionary Association Division.
The 35 mm. film strips and scripts in this collection were produced and distributed by the Board of Home Missions, Division of Christian Education and the Pilgrim Press during the 1950s. The Division of Christian Education assisted Congregational colleges and seminaries with guidance and financial assistance and also prepared educational materials for use in Congregational Christian Sunday schools. The Pilgrim Press grew out of the Congregational Publishing Society (RG 740 and RG 741), founded in 1841, and served as the publisher for the denomination. The Pilgrim Press published "devotional materials, successive editions of the Pilgrim Hymnal (1931, 1935, 1958), and a variety of books on religious studies" (1).
At the time the film strips were produced, the Christian Education Division and the Pilgrim Press Press Division both had their headquarters at Congregational House, 14 Beacon Street, Boston, Mass.; the Pilgrim Press also had an office at 19 South La Salle Street, Chicago, Ill. See the container list for a list of the titles and authors, artists and musicians responsible for the production of these materials.
(1) John Von Rohr. The Shaping of American Congregationalism, 1620-1957. Pilgrim Press : Cleveland, Ohio,1992, p. 447.
Scope and Content Notes
The film strip collection currently contains 35 mm. film strips and accompanying written scripts. The majority of the film strips mention audio accompaniment. The Philip Schaff Library, Lancaster Theological Seminary was contacted April 3, 1997 regarding the possible whereabouts of the audio accompaniment. In the meantime, the text and the film strips are arranged by the number of the film strip or kit number. Note that there are several gaps in the film strip numbers; the Pilgrim Series (number 171) is missing 171-5 and 171-6. The names of authors, artists and production coordinators are provided from the script text. Most of the script text has a version for the leader, adult-level group, young-adult level group and children’s group. Two of the film strips were created or produced by Bureau of Audio Visuals, United Church of Christ, producers and the Congregational Christian Service Committee, ca. 1950s.
Series I. Film strip script text
Series II. Film strips