The Archive acquires new material regularly, including records from closing churches and Congregational organizations, and personal papers. For inquiries about donating an archive collection, please contact archivist Jessica Steytler.
The General Association of Connecticut (now the Connecticut Conference, UCC) was assembled from a number of county-level ministerial associations and church consociations. In partnership with the present conference leadership, we have digitized dozens of volumes of their earliest records. They contain meeting minutes, committee reports, membership lists, rules and recommendations for ordinations of ministers, as well as discussions of various matters of doctrine.
Check out the collection page for more information.
Rev. Dr. Davida Foy Crabtree is a long-time leader and champion for spirituality, religion, and feminism. She founded the Prudence Crandall Center for Women at Central Connecticut State University, and has served in a number of postitions over her long career. Her work within the United Church of Christ and other institutions has created a rich collection that we are pleased to make available to the public.
As we are transitioning to a new publication system for our finding aids, detailed information about this collection is temporarily only available in PDF format. Basic information can be found the collection's catalog record.
One of the latest additions to our New England's Hidden Histories program contains the earliest surviving records from First Parish in Ipswich, Mass. The church was originally formed and built its first meetinghouse in 1634 after the town was incorporated. The three volumes available here include records pertaining to the church and its surrounding parish on subjects such as administrative and financial matters, membership information, and singing as part of worship.
One of the latest additions to our New England's Hidden Histories program is the records from the South Parish in Ipswich, Mass. The congregation separated from First Church in 1747 and remained its own entity for 175 years until 1922 when the two rejoined. The two volumes contain records concerning both the church and its surrounding parish, including matters of administration, finance, and membership, as well as a brief history of the church.
First Church in Newton, Mass. was originally established as the First Church of Cambridge Village in 1664. The village seceded to become the city of Newton in 1688. The CLA received all of Newton First Church's historical records when the church closed in 1972, but now some of the earliest books in that collection are part of our New England's Hidden Histories program. These two volumes contain the earliest surviving records relating to church administration, membership, and finances.