CLA Participates in Ask an Archivst Day, October 7, 2020
What is Ask an Archivist Day?
Ask an Archivist Day is an annual event held in early October that aims to bridge the gap between archivists and the public in a casual and fun question and answer forum. As professional experts who do the exciting work of protecting and sharing important historical materials, archivists have many stories to share about the work they do every day in preserving fascinating documents, photographs, audio and visual materials, and digital materials. Ask an Archivist Day will give you a chance to connect with the archivists of the CLA to learn about their work, ask questions, and hopefully discover something new about the CLA that you didn’t know before.
What Questions can be Asked?
The CLA’s archivists are eager to respond to all questions you have about archives and archival work.
No question is too silly…
- What’s the craziest thing you’ve come across in your collections?
- If your archives had a soundtrack, what songs would be on it?
- What do archivists talk about around the water cooler?
…And no question is too practical!
- What should I do to be sure that my emails won’t get lost?
- I’ve got loads of digital images on my phone. How should I store them so I can access them later?
- How do you decide which items to keep and which to weed out from a collection?
- As a teacher, how can I get my students more interested in using archives for projects?
How Can I Participate?
Ask an Archivist day is open to everyone; all you need is a Twitter or Facebook account! On October 7, at 9:00AM EST, the CLA will publish an official Ask an Archivist post to our Facebook and Twitter accounts. From there, simply reply to the post with your question and our archivists will be respond in kind!
On Twitter, there is a list, maintained by the Society of American Archivists, for organizations participating in Ask an Archivist Day: check it out and ask them questions too!
We sincerely hope to see you, and your questions, on Ask an Archivist Day! It is going to be an exciting event for all involved.