Boylston, Mass. First Church

Collection History

The North Precinct or Second Parish Church of Shrewsbury, Massachusetts was established in 1742, with Rev. Ebenezer Morse ordained as its first pastor in 1743. This parish remained a part of Shrewsbury until 1786, when it was established as the town of Boylston and its church became the First Congregational Church of Boylston, which is still active today.

The volume below consists of a handwritten record of church admissions, baptisms and marriages spanning 1743-1791 and compiled by Rev. Morse, who was ultimately dismissed from Shrewsbury in 1775 because he refused to halt public prayers for the British government. The last page includes records concerning Rev. Morse's family.

The original manuscripts in this collection are owned by our project partners, the New England Historic Genealogical Society. For additional information please see the NEHGS catalog.

 

Digital Materials

Account book, 1718-1859

This volume contains records of the earliest church when it was known as the Second Church of Shrewsbury, Massachusetts. These continue into the period when it became the Congregational Church of Boylston. The early records were compiled by Rev. Ebenezer Morse, the church's first pastor. It includes church meeting minutes, admissions, baptisms, and marriages. At the end of the volume are several pages containing records relating to Rev. Morse's family.

 

Related Materials

Cotton, Ward. Correspondence, 1811-1814

 

Special Thanks

These digital resources have been made possible in part by the Council on Library and Information Resources, through a Digitizing Hidden Collections grant.

Any views, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this resource do not necessarily represent those of the Council on Library and Information Resources.

Become a Member