Falmouth, Mass. First Congregational Church
The First Congregational Church of Falmouth began as an offshoot of an early congregational church located in nearby Barnstable, Mass. This Fallmouth branch was initially ministered to by a layman, Jonathan Dunham, and also lacked a meeting house until 1700. In 1708, twenty years after the town of Falmouth was incorporated, the First Congregational Church of Falmouth was officially gathered as its own distinct body.
The congregation was politically engaged, taking a particular interest in missionary endeavors throughout the church's 300-year history, and in 1830 also voted officially to support the temperance movement. The church has made use of three meeting houses in four locations; the third was moved across the street in 1857. The First Congregational Church of Falmouth is still active today and is a member of the United Church of Christ.
The digital materials below consitute a single volume of church records from early in the church's history, spanning 1731-1790.
For additional information please see the finding aid.
These records primarily document the admissions of new members, marriages, and baptisms which took place at First Church. Also included are records of church meetings and, to a lesser extent, records of correspondence regarding the call of their new minister, Rev. Isaac Mann, in 1780.
A full transcription of this volume is available.