Mattapoisett, Mass. Congregational Church
Mattapoisett was set up as the Second Precinct of Rochester by an act of the Massachusetts General Court in June 1736, though the village did not become a separate town until 1857. The first meetinghouse was constructed in 1737. The early years were contentious, as congregants disagreed over everything from who to accept as their pastor to the propriety of singing "by rule" (using hymnals that include musical notation) and instrumental accompaniment.
The original building was lost in the "great gale" of 1815. The congregation met at the town's schoolhouse for a time until its new building was constructed. Due to a strong revival movement, they soon outgrew this building, and moved to yet another new structure in 1842. After the town was incorporated, the church officially became the First Precinct in Mattapoisett in 1860, and later simply Mattapoisett Congregational Church.
For more information about the church today, visit their website.
For more information about the full archival collection, please see our finding guide.
Historical information taken in part from Mattapoisett and Old Rochester, Massachusetts (1907), which also contains transcribed excerpts from these record books.
These records contain primarily membership records, including admissions, dismissions, baptisms, and marriages. It also has minutes of church meetings and ecclesiastical councils, particularly when the topics discussed pertain to the conduct of church members.
This volume contains the administrative and financial records of the church. Since the precinct of Mattapoisett was formed more than a century before it was incorporated as a distinct town (in 1857), the records do refer to the church as Rochester Second.