Newbury, Mass. Third Church
The First Church of Newbury, Massachusetts divided in 1695 when the Second Church of Newbury was established, followed by the Third Church in 1726. The volumes below comprise the records of the Newbury Third Church, transcribed from various books and papers in 1737 by the church's first minister, Rev. John Lowell (pastor from 1726-1767), and later continued by the otherwise unidentified "Edith R. Wills". The Third Church experienced a denominational split in 1746, when a number of parishioners left to form the Newbury Presbyterian Church. The Third Church became part of the parish of Newburyport in 1764.
The original manuscripts in this collection are owned by our project partners, the New England Historic Genealogical Society. Further information about the collection can be found in the NEHGS catalog.
This volume contains handwritten transcription of extracts from the records of the Third Church. The records include meeting minutes, correspondence, listings of gifts, lists of members, admissions, dismissions, recommendations, and baptisms to 1740.
This volume contains transcriptions of baptisms from 1741 to 1763, a list of members chosen for the Monthly Society, marriages from 1726 to 1799, and additional baptisms from 1763 to 1780.
Newbury, Mass. Second Church — digital materials
Special ThanksCouncil on Library and Information Resources, through a Digitizing Hidden Collections grant.
Any views, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this resource do not necessarily represent those of the Council on Library and Information Resources.