West Stockbridge, Mass. First Church
The First Congregational Church in West Stockbridge, Massachusetts was founded in 1789, along with the town itself. The meeting house was also used for civic purposes, and was shared with a local Baptist congregation until 1793. A Second Church was formed in 1833 to serve the area's growing population. The church continues to serve the community today as the West Stockbridge Congregational Church, UCC.
The materials in this collection include the First Church's record book, as well as an assortment of loose documents found inside the volume. The original manuscripts in this collection are owned by our project partners, the New England Historic Genealogical Society. Further information about the collection can be found in the NEHGS catalog.
The volume is titled "Church Records 1793" but contains entries from 1789-1809. It consists of church meeting minutes, member admissions, baptisms, deaths, marriages, and the results of an ecclesiastical council in 1793.
These loose documents were found within the church record book, including church membership lists and letters of recommendation and membership transfer.
|1819 June 17||from Thomas Reed and David Broughton||to "Victor"||letter requesting a visit, and general correspondence|
|1827||member listing for West Stockbridge Congregational Church|
|1827 November 13||from the Presbyterian Church of Christ in Winfield||to the Presbyterian Church of Christ in West Stockbridge||letter with permission to admit Mrs. Porthena Moffit into the West Stockbridge Congregational Church|
|1828 January 12||from the Presbyterian Church of Christ in Winfield||for Artemas Moffit||letter granting dismissal|
|1837||member listing for West Stockbridge Congregational Church|
|1847 May 31||for Mrs. Bryant||receipt for $20.25|
|1869 February 7||from Mary Brown||to Rev. Purnell||request for a certificate|
|1885 January 1||member listing for West Stockbridge Congregational Church|
|1889 July 1||By D. Sherman (pastor)||for Angie Patterson||letter of recommendation on behalf of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Easthampton|
|undated||notice of new member admissions|
Special ThanksCouncil on Library and Information Resources, through a Digitizing Hidden Collections grant.
Any views, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this resource do not necessarily represent those of the Council on Library and Information Resources.