Phillips, Samuel. Papers
Samuel Phillips (1625-1696) was born in England and accompanied his father, Rev. George Phillips of Watertown, to America at five years of age. He graduated at Harvard in 1650 and was ordained the following year, ministering to the Congregational Church of Rowley until his death. This collection includes two sets of Rev. Phillip's sermons, which contain three full sermons each. The first volume (1670-1695) contains three iterations of sermons preached on Exodus 20:12. The second volume (1690-1723) is more varied in content, and also includes a posthumous document detailing the Proceedings of a Council at Reading in 1723. Also included is the transfer of Boxford parishioner Elizabeth Holt by Rev. John Cushing in 1746.
The original manuscripts in this collection are owned by our project partners, the Phillips Library at the Peabody Essex Museum. Further information about the collection can be found in the Phillips Library's catalog.
This volume contains four sermons delivered by Rev. Phillips in Rowley, Mass.
- Undated [partial]
- Exodus 20:12 (ver. 1) – "Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee."
preached 20 March 1669/70
- Exodus 20:12 (ver. 2) – "Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee."
preached 27 March 1670
- Exodus 20:12 (ver. 3) – "Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee."
preached 10 April 1670
Sermons and proceedings, 1690-1723
This collection comprises a folder containing three of Rev. Phillips's sermons preached during the 1690s, as well as minutes from a church council at Reading in 1723.
- Acts 8:36-37 – "And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
preached 12 April 1691
- Genesis 14:21 – "And the king of Sodom said unto Abram, Give me the persons, and take the goods to thyself."
preached 18 May 1695
- 1 Corinthians 11:26 – "For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come."
preached 4 May 1690
- Proceedings of a Council at Reading, 1723
This letter from Boxford Church to the Second Church in Andover, Mass. requests a transfer for Boxford parishioner Elizabeth Holt. The document is dated December 22, 1746 and signed by Rev. John Cushing.
Special ThanksCouncil on Library and Information Resources, through a Digitizing Hidden Collections grant.
Any views, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this resource do not necessarily represent those of the Council on Library and Information Resources.